Muskoka is known for its white Christmases, and is often covered in white stuff when there’s not flake to be found near the city. Even with this December’s mild temps, we’re not counting out snow just yet. With the holidays fast approaching you need a plan because the kids will be on holidays for two whole weeks, regardless of the weather. And with exchange rates through the roof for a beach escape – what to do? Make a break for it and head up to Muskoka, we’ve listed some great weatherproof things to do – so you are guaranteed fun in sun, snow or rain.
1. Play indoors! Muskoka is known for the great outdoors, but when the weather isn’t cooperating, it’s time to move inside. Muskoka’s Indoor Play located in Huntsville offers 3,500 sq. ft. of indoor fun designed for ages 0-10 years. Running from December 19 – January 3, Deerhurst Resort has an 11,000 sq. ft. Holiday Playzone full of giant inflatables, XBOX 360 Zone, Ping-Pong & pre-school area. Deerhurst also offers an indoor rock climbing wall, arcade games room, and an indoor pool, all available to registered guests. (Note: additional fees for activities may apply).
2. Hit the trails! No matter the weather, it’s the best way to see the beauty of Muskoka. There are many scenic trails in Muskoka to take in the peaceful beauty of the woods. Deerhurst Resort offers guided snowshoe treks (guided hikes if there is no snow) or do a self-guided hike. At Deerhurst Resort, the Lookout Trail offers an easy uphill challenge with a rewarding panoramic view at the top. Or head into the Town of Huntsville and hit the Lions’ Lookout Trail, or explore the Hunter’s Bay Trail. Feeling more adventurous? Head to one of Canada’s iconic wilderness hotspots, Algonquin Provincial Park, about 30 minutes east of Deerhurst on Highway 60. They offer great self-guided interpretive trails along Highway 60 during the winter months, and guide booklets are available at the East Gate, West Gate, Visitor Centre or online.
3. Four legged fun. Hidden Meadow Farm at Deerhurst Resort operates all year, which means that all of their activities are weatherproof! Head out on a guided trail ride, carriage ride, or give your kids an introduction to grooming, tacking and riding a pony with their Kids’n Ponies program. Get up close and personal with some furry friends at their interactive Petting Farm. Prices vary, see details here.
4. Go skating! Just because the lakes may not be frozen, doesn’t mean you can’t strap on a pair of skates and enjoy this family-friendly activity. The Town of Huntsville offers Free Holidays Skates December 18 – January 3 at the Canada Summit Centre.
5. Be entertained! Muskoka night’s can be just as exciting as the days! Deerhurst’s live stage show, HIT L!ST performs year-round and is a fantastic show to bring the whole family to! Taking you on a journey through music’s most popular genres, HIT L!ST will have everyone clapping and singing along. Or catch a movie at the quaint family-run movie theatre in downtown Huntsville.
So regardless of the weather there is still lots to do in Muskoka to keep the kids entertained both indoors and outdoors.
Make your holiday planning simple this year and plan a getaway to Deerhurst Resort. At Deerhurst you can find all of these great adventures and more including daily crafts, scavenger hunts, and family movies, all available to registered guests. And we’re not counting out snow just yet – so neither should you! Check out all of our great winter activities. Activities are added based on weather. Start planning your holiday memories here.
Posted December 11, 2015 by Ainsley Theis.